• 04 True Roundtripping/integration with Motion
and the ability to use and modify Motion projects in an FCPX timeline. Open the Motion Project from the FCPX timeline, modify in Motion and save, Motion clip is updated in the FCPX timeline.
• 05 Dual Monitor improvement.
The Event Viewer, as a second viewer, should display timeline clips and clips in the multiclip angle editor so they can be viewed side by side with a clip in the main viewer. Right click on timeline or angle editor clip and choose "Open in Event Viewer". It also should have a skimable clip filmstrip, clip dupe dectection and selectable keywords, favorites and selections applied to a clip. As you select a favorite keyword or selection in the filmstrip, it would highlight it in the browser.
• 06 A better dedicated keyframe editor with advanced keyframe adjustments and options.
The current implementation of keyframing is like keyframing on an Etch A Sketch. Keyframing is important so give us something more robust.
• 07 A Clipboard manager with history to remember all copied and pasted items for reuse.
Once an item is copied, it could be renamed, organized, saved and pasted in any project timeline as an overwrite, insert or attached edit at the playhead location or appended to the end of the open timeline. You could copy multiple items as a single clipboard item. Each item would have a preview.
• 08 Batch Export of projects, browser clips, still images, favorites, keyword collections, used/unused media, timeline ranges etc.This would include just the selected ranges of media fies, not the entire files.
• 09 Browser Improvements including custom tabs, save tab layout, combo filmstrip and list view, etc.
• 10 Renaming a clip in the Event Browser, renames the clip in the Finder option
just like Logic Pro X does and renaming an Event, Project or Library in FCPX does now. I never use the convoluted default names that FCPX uses because I want to be able to search for clips with meaningful names across multiple hard drives in the finder without having to launch FCPX and search through many Events. A master Library, Event and Project database that keeps track of FCPX clips, whether mounted or not, would be very beneficial. Also give us an option to batch name clips before importing them in the Import window.
• 11 Transcode, stabilize and add effects to a clip range or favorite.
• 12 Adjustable Secondary and Primary Storyline parameters in the Inspector.
For some reason, there are no adjustable master parameters currently for any Storyline.
Scale, X-Y position, opacity, crop and enable/disable are a few that would be beneficial.
• 13 Manual white balance control with eyedropper selection and access to Match Color and Balance Color parameters
for copying and pasting and adjusting in the inspector.
• 15 Save, rename, make favorite and organize customized Transitions, Effects, Generators in the Effects Browser.
And add more shortcuts for applying effects, transitions, etc.There is some customized naming and saving for titles, color corrections and effects but I'd like to organize multiple favorite effects, titles, generators, transitions via drag and drop in the effects browser and from the timeline into customizable folders in the browser.
• 16 Selectable copy and paste attributes for transitions, titles, generators, color corrections, effects, etc.
• 17 Keyframable opacity bar with fade handles directly visible on a timeline video clip like the volume bar on audio clips.
• 18 The ability to lock a clip, compound clip or storyline in place.
to prevent any moving or editing.
• 19 Notes HUD with function tabs to keep notes, copy & paste titles, credits, open pdfs and text documents
with selectable item columns. And make it per project, event or library like Logic Pro X does.
• 21 Playhead to Playhead FCP7 style Replace edit.
This edit matches the playhead of a clip in the Browser to the playhead of a clip in the Timeline and extends in both directions to either fill a Timeline selection or the length of the Timeline clip.
• 22 Color labels for video clips, audio clips, Events, Projects, Storylines, selections, Roles, Keywords folders, etc.
Basically color coding application-wide.
• 23 Custom frame rates.
• 24 Option to attach a clip, compound clip or storyline to any other clip, compound clip or storyline
or completely disconnect, rather than only attaching to the main storyline as FCPX does now.
• 25 Media Management options to compact a Library, event or project by getting rid of any unused media with handles option.
• 26 Name buttons/tabs in the project timeline rather than the backward- forward arrows
so you can directly choose your project rather than doing the back, back, forward, forward tap dance. A little x on those tabs would close that timeline. You can click and hold on a forward or backward arrow to see available timelines but always visible individually named buttons would be quicker.
• 27 On/Off master switch or enable/disable for the Primary and Secondary Storylines.
• 28 A single master searchable database across all previously opened Libraries.
• 29 Add ProRes LT for transcoding media.
Right now the very popular ProRes LT is still missing in action for transcoding in FCPX.
• 30 Reveal Affiliated clips and duplicated clips (dupe detection) in the Timeline.
• 31 Option right click a Library and choose "Close Other Libraries" from the drop down menu.
Also choose storage locations by right clicking.
• 32 Timecode improvements.
Timecode reader with metadata option, source timecode option and aux timecode option
with the option to write the aux timecode back to the media file. Coremelt has a free Source Timecode Burn-In plugin
• 33 Transition alignment - start, middle or end of an edit point
can be selected from a drop down menu by right clicking on the transition in the timeline. And also add audio only crossfades.
• 34 Better Titles with industry standard professional text layout and alignment paramaters.
All of this clunky clicking back and forth - selecting a clip in the Timeline, dragging, going to the Viewer and Inspector to modify the title, Inspector text not auto-highlighting, scrolling, waiting, opening and closing Inspector menus is wearing out my mouse and patience.
• 35 Unlimited Undo
• 36 Add copy & paste overwrite edit in addition to paste insert and paste connect.
• 37 Select all clips forwards or backwards in a primary or secondary storyline command.
If you want to select all of the clips in a long timeline you have to select them all with a lasso or open the Timeline Index and select them.
• 38 Drag an Effect or Effects from the Inspector
to a clip or selected clips in the Timeline or Event Browser.
• 39 Event Browser clips video Inspector adjustments.
such as color correction, spacial conform, cropping, etc. You could save any Browser clip adjustemnt as an effect and reapply to other clips.Y ou can adjust a selected Event Browser clip's audio parameters, so why not their video parameters?
• 40 Individually drag-adjustable Timeline lane heights and thin lane dividers.
• 42 Customizable shortcut items in the unused space of the timecode reader bar.
There would be preferences to choose which items would show up.
• 43 Two timelines viewable at the same time
over top of each other for visually comparing timelines and dragging from one to the other.
• 44 FCPX crash report and error messages that give helpful real world information.
• 47 Roles option, per Event, per Project or global.
• 48 Go to next video specific edit point or next audio specific edit point command.
Right now you can't choose video or audio when working with split edits.
• 49 Draggable timeline markers, extend markers, move Markers via timecode,
export marker lists with notes and custom multi-colored markers.
• 50 Drag a range in the timeline ruler area and it selects everything below in that highlighted range
for copying & pasting, editing and exporting. The range is sticky and the end boundaries or entire selection can be adjusted frame by frame or drag adjusted left or right.
• 51 Overwrite Audio Only Edit
Where the audio from the selected browser clip or clip range replaces the audio in a selected timeline clip or clip range.
• 52 Master Timeline overview navigation track with timeline selection highlighted in a moveable view bubble, (with a new MacBook Pro Touch Bar) where you can jump to a timeline position by clicking on it (like Soundtrack Pro has).
Back to Top
• 53 Recallable Timeline Zoom levels and live continuous zooming via keyboard shortcut.
Maybe even a few zoom buttons in the Timeline ruler area.
• 54 Easy quick option to create freeze frames of both sides of an edit point
that has no handles to add handle frames to use for a transition .
• 55 A shortcut command to move clips, compound clips or storylines up or down including between lanes.
• 56 Resizable floating Timecode Reader. (Available via FXFactory as a free plugin).
The one in the Timeline is very small. I'd like one that I could resize and position where I wanted like Logic Pro X.
• 57 Bars and Tone Generator.
• 58 Consistent Option click application-wide to show/hide all disclosure triangles and check on/off all parameters.
This would include the Inspector, Timeline Index, Browser, etc. Right now it is hit or miss if it works in any particular panel.
• 59 Open sync and Lock gang sync modes.
Timeline playhead matches the corresponding highlighted Browser clip frame and syncs/locks the Timeline playhead to the matched highlighted Browser clip playhead.
• 60 Edit a Compound Clip and Project settings by right clicking on either in the Browser
instead of the three step process it is now.
• 61 Background Render, Optimized media and Proxy on/off buttons in the Timeline bar.
• 62 Duplicate/Copy/Move Library, Event and Project duplicates everything that is used
in a Library, Event or Project including all FCPX and Motion Titles, Effects, fonts etc. Nothing is left behind.
• 63 Auto-highlight Favorite name field in Browser when making a Favorite,
so it's ready for text input. And favorite's name is kept when edited to timeline.
• 64 Roundtripping with Logic Pro X.
• 65 Match Frame improvements via keyword shortcuts or menu.
Match frame with timeline clip to keyword collection, smart collection, multicam clip as well as a browser clip.
Also if a clip is used in a timeline, Match frame from the Browser to the Project or Compound Clip timeline.
• 66 Better renaming timeline clips method.
Add Rename Clip as a keyboard shortcut so we can use a keyboard shortcut instead of right-clicking over and over when renaming clips in the timeline.
• 67 Context sensitive Inspector floating HUD.
And a contextual drop down menu with Inspector items when right clicking clips in the timeline.
• 68 Audio fade and crossfades via keyboard shortcut for single or mutiple clips.
You could have adjacent audio clips in the same storyline, apply an audio crossfade and roll the crossfade one or more frames at a time with a keyboard shortcut.
• 69 Move selected clip to playhead command.
• 70 Complete 3D parameters and attributes for all video clips and titles.
• 71 iChat Theater.
• 72 .
• 73 Dynamic trimming improvements in the Precision Editor
including live looping JKL trimming option and a 2-up display.
• 74 Edit point selection improvements. Lasso select multiple edit points on different lanes, asymmetrical selection & trimming and closest edit point selection via a keyboard shortcut. As an example example, selecting the ends of all clips on multiple lanes and extend edit them all together in one step.
• 75 Auto Zoom option when selecting audio fade handles and keyframes for more precise adjustment.
• 76 Keyframable Opacity parameter for a color correction mask
so you can fade the mask in and out.
• 77 Project improvements in the Browser.
Skimming, playback, keywording, favoriting, adding markers and audio channel configuration adjustments are all available for compound clip and multicam timelines in the Browser. Why not projects? We used to be able to skim a project so we know that, at least, is possible.
• 78 Multicam improvements. Double clicking a Multicam clip opens the Angle editor with the timeline clip selected
and the Angle editor playhead matches the current timeline clip frame. From here, you can match frame back to source clip, color correct, stabilize, etc. Angle editor specific markers are carried over to the timeline and can be switched on and off. Also an option to not cut the audio track when cutting video only.
• 79 Browser Name column actually lists clip and range name.
And a separate Keyword Browser filter and Column so individual keyword ranges could be named, searched for, available in a Smart Collection and in the Timeline Index.
• 80 Mark to Markers command.
A section of a clip will be selected from one marker to to the next marker when the skimmer/playhead is between two markers and a keyboard command is executed.
• 81 Automator Actions for sequencing multiple steps and keystroke sequences into a button or single click.
• 82 Adjust Multicam angle sync in viewer one frame at a time by command dragging over a clip.
• 83 Right click a customized title or transition in the timeline and choose "Make Default".
• 84 Compound clips expand for editing in the Timeline.
• 85 Toggle timeline clip effects on/off via right click or a keyboard shortcut
to compare clips with and without effects instead of going back and forth to the Effect Info panel to check and uncheck checkboxes.
• 86 Create an audition from selected clips in the timeline.
• 87 Magnetic Rulers and Guides in the Viewer for snapping and alignment of objects, titles and clips.
And add overlays. Things so basic that are still missing.
• 88 Airplay and AirDrop support.
• 89 Collapse Multicam option .
• 90 Add on and off button for the Graphic Equalizer and for all effects,
to quickly compare with and without EQ/effect.
• 91 Selecting Roles in the Timeline Index actually selects the clips option/checkbox
and allows applying effects, disable/enable or making adjustments to multiple clips at once.
• 92 Build in and build out adjustment controls in a timeline clip.
• 93 Better Proxy workflow with a user selected Proxy media folder and a File > Relink Proxy media command.
Include audio and graphics (Tom Wolsky) and add custom frame sizes and data rates, a pop up warning if you are exporting a proxy version of your timeline or a checkbox to always export Optimized/Original Media. Also an option of using proxy media on a per clip and/or project basis rather than globally all or nothing.
• 94 Selectable autosave and backup time increment and manual time stamped save options.
• 95 Keep playing clips in the event browser option.
Add ‘Continuous Play’ command to View > Playback submenu so Final Cut plays all browser clips one after the other.
• 96 Add insert at beginning of timeline edit
the opposite of the append edit.
• 97 Transition names in the timeline.
• 98 Multiple range selections in the Timeline available for batch exporting clips
or still frames from markers via the Share menu.
• 99 Drag a Loop playback range in the timeline ruler area.
Click the range to toggle it on and off.
• 100 Roll edit improvements.
Add Roll to playhead, Roll start and Roll end commands where the playhead is the target and no edit point selection is needed. And enable audio only or video only roll edits by right clicking on a clip in the Timeline or via keyboard shortcuts. I don't want to expand Audio/Video or detach audio just to perform a J or L- cut.
• 101 Add managed and external indicators on clips or a Location column in the Browser
so we can see at a glance whether Libraries and clips are managed or external. Viewing one clip at a time in the info inspector to check Location is really innefficient.
• 102 Drag a range in the timeline ruler area
and it selects everything below in that highlighted range for copying & pasting, editing and exporting.
• 103 Direct numeric entry and drag to change value for all Inspector number fields.
You can't enter numbers or drag in the Audio Enhancements % field for example.
• 104 Add Good as a second Favorite option (via Thomas Grove Carter).
• 105 Unlimited Undo History
with the ability to visit a step in between other steps.
• 106 A Force link/relink command, when you want to replace a media file with an updated version or if FCPX won't relink. Perhaps auto create a duplicate project and won't delete original media file before forcing the relink in case of a problem. And better linking when opening an external Library on another volume.
• 107 Clip Logger like Logic Pro's Audio File editor.
When enabled, selecting a clip in the browser opens the clip in the Clip Logger in the timeline space where you can make precise keyword ranges, favorites, rejects, markers etc that are reflected in the selected browser clip.
• 108 Enable Dictation to transcribe audio from video in FCPX with searchable text and clickable timestamps.
Also Import caption files to add captioning or to make subtitles, both of which would be searchable.
• 109 Simple method to save a timeline or browser clip current frame
instead of clicking 3-4 times as is now required for each and every save. And a special Save Frame marker. Then Share > Save Frame Markers to export all frames in one batch. A save location, sequential naming preference and import back into the Library option would be set as a Share preference for stills and video.
• 110 Checkboxes to allow custom settings, such as Spatial Conform, transitions settings etc to be saved .
•111 Import window improvements with the ability to make a new Library, batch name clips, role assignment (Sam Woodhall) and more.
•112 FCPX App Store in the Effects browser
To buy plugins, tutorials, helper apps, etc (Alex4D).
•113 Slip, slide and edit video only or audio only in a timeline clip without detaching the audio or opening it in its own timeline.
Slip and slide by typing a + or - and number of frames (or for audio, subframes). Out of sync indicators would appear once the video or audio was slipped. And if you did detach audio, "Detach Audio" changes to "Reattach Audio" so the clip can be reassmebled in the timeline.
•114 Allow modifying in and out points of Keyword ranges (Ron Priest).
Select the Keyword range and drag the in or out handles or press a keyboard shortcut to reset them.
•115 Save Library as a Template and be able to select a Library Template from a Master Template Chooser.
You would be prompted for a name, which would telegraph through to the template Events. The template would recreate Smart collections, Events, managed or external preference, media and cache storage location, create folders, etc. You could save multiple templates for different Library needs. This would save time from creating each Library completely from scratch, especially complex Libraries that you reuse on a regular basis.
•116 Position dependent tool where the pointer would change from a default selection tool to the Range tool, for example, when it was in the bottom half of a timeline clip.
•117 Library Browser Improvements
Enable lasso selection in the Browser list view, add a sequence of numbers search in the filter search window, turn off Used Media orange check marks, used/unused media library smart collections etc.
•118 Keyboard shortcuts improvements
including keyboard shortcuts and timeline buttons to switch to a different set of keyboard shortcuts.
•119 A fixed length Audition option so changing the clips will not ripple the timeline.
Also choose whether you want clips to be cut, sped up or slowed down if they don't match your chosen Audition length (Fit 2 Fill).
• 120 Enable Snapping to markers and edit points when drag retiming a clip in the timeline
like there is when dragging an edit point.
• 121 True keyframable Speed Ramp with Bezier controls and ease in, ease out option
Or at least speed segment transition controls in the Inspecor or Retime editor.
FCPX doesn't have a keyframable speed ramp. What FCPX calls a speed ramp is a clip divided into four speed segments (or two or three) with a transition applied at each edit.
That's like saying a transition applied between two color corrected clips is the same as real color correction keyframing.
In both instances, they kinda produce somewhat similar results but don't offer the same amount of control or flexibility as the real items.
• 122 Compound clips expand for editing directly in the Timeline without having to switch timeline screens.
And the ability to extend the in and out points of the compound clip in the timeline if there is media available.
• 123 Specfically state what is missing when displaying missing media and warning alert icons.
• 124 Library and hard drive associations with Project names in the timeline.
• 125 A preference checkbox for Library Smart Collections
for those who don't use them or want them cluttering up their Library.
• 126 Browser and timeline improvements. Include favorites travel from browser to timeline index.
• 128 When searching for or making a smart collection of favorites
display the favorites with the favorite name instead of the clips/clip names with the favorites hidden under a disclosure triangle.
FCPX 10.2 implemented about 8 items from this list.
FCPX 10.1 implemented about 14 items from this list.
FCPX 10.0.6 implemented about 14 items from this list.
I have posted an article on the implemented requests. Kudos to the FCPX team
Back to Top