"I like that you have scrolling timeline as the first on the list. It’s the Susan Lucci of feature requests.
It’s been on every list since 1999 and it’s still not made it to the show." -Tom Wolsky
• 02 Pro Audio features: Audio Mixer with Master Fader, AU plugin inserts, keyframe recording,
assignable Roles submixes that output to discreet audio track hardware channels, more precise audio waveform editing, etc.
• 03 Save and recall customized Window Layouts with moveable/closeable individual window panes.
I use different window layouts for color correcting, Timeline editing, Multicam, Viewer keyframing, etc. Now, every window layout has to be manually configured every time. This is a huge time waster.
• 04 True Roundtripping/integration with Motion
and the ability to use and modify Motion projects in an FCPX timeline. Open the Motion Project from the FCPX timeline, modify in Motion and save, Motion clip is updated in the FCPX timeline.
• 05 Dual Monitor improvement.
The Event Viewer, as a second monitor, should have a skimable clip filmstrip. And in addition to displaying Event clips should display timeline clips and clips in the multiclip angle editor with a color correction and effects on/off button. You would then to be able to compare it side by side with another clip in main viewer. Right click on timeline or angle editor clip and choose "Open in Event Viewer". Also allow selection of any keywords, favorites and selections applied to a clip.
• 06 A better dedicated keyframe editor and keyframe options.
The current implementation of keyframing is like keyframing on an Etch A Sketch. Keyframing is important so give us something more robust
• 07 Master Color Correction window with all scopes and color correction controls.
Now only one scope and one Color Inspector tab is viewable at a time. Clicking back and forth, back and forth between different windows and tabs is very inefficient. And make it available on a second monitor.
• 08 Batch Export of projects, browser clips, still images, favorites, keyword collections, timeline ranges etc.
• 09 Keyframeable color correction parameters.
• 10 Renaming a clip in the Event Browser, renames the clip in the Finder option
just like Logic Pro X does and renaming an Event, Project or Library in FCPX does now. I never use the convoluted default names that FCPX uses because I want to be able to search for clips with meaningful names across multiple hard drives in the finder without having to launch FCPX and search through many Events. A master Library, Event and Project database that keeps track of FCPX clips, whether mounted or not, would be very beneficial. Also give us an option to batch name clips before importing them in the Import window.
• 11 Transcode, stabilize and add effects to a clip range or favorite.
• 12 Adjustable Secondary and Primary Storyline parameters in the Inspector.
For some reason, there are no adjustable master parameters currently for any Storyline.
Scale, X-Y position, opacity, crop and enable/disable are a few that would be beneficial.
• 13 Manual white balance control and access to "Match Color" parameters in the color board
Let us select the white point that we want to use and have access to the now hidden "Match Color" parameters.
• 14 All Background process are truly background.
What does background mean? It means in the background. If a Background Task prevents a foreground task then it is not a Background Task. Tame the background processes such as rendering or making thumbnails. Background processes are not useful if they degrade the performance of the foreground processes such as editing or even preventing another process.
• 15 Save, rename, make favorite and organize customized Transitions, Effects, Generators.
Now there is limited customized naming and saving for Titles and color corrections but further organization is needed.
• 16 Selectable copy and paste attributes for transitions, titles, generators, color corrections, effects, etc.
• 17 Opacity bar on a timeline video clip like the volume bar on audio clips.
• 18 The ability to lock a clip, compound clip or storyline in place.
and to master lock the primary and secondary storyline to prevent any editing.
• 19 Open Text documents and pdfs natively in FCPX
to copy & paste titles, credits etc. without having to switch applications. And add a master notes window like Logic pro X has.
• 20 A remove clip attributes option to remove specific or all attributes, including effects, from one or more selected clips.
• 21 Playhead to Playhead FCP7 style Replace edit.
This edit matches the playhead of a clip in the Browser to the playhead of a clip in the Timeline and extends in both directions to either fill a Timeline selection or the length of the Timeline clip.
• 22 Color labels for video clips, audio clips, Events, Projects, Storylines, Roles, Keywords folders, etc.
Basically color coding application-wide.
• 23 Custom frame rates.
• 24 Option to attach a clip or storyline to any other clip or storyline
or completely disconnect, rather than only attaching to the main storyline as FCPX does now.
• 25 A Media Manager to export only used media with handles from an event, project or timeline.
And the ability to delete unused media in an existing Event.
• 26 Name buttons/tabs in the project timeline rather than backward- forward arrows
so you can directly choose your project rather than doing the back, back, forward, forward tap dance. A little x on those tabs would close that timeline. You can click and hold on a forward or backward arrow to see available timelines but always visible individually named buttons would be quicker.
• 27 On/Off master switch or enable/disable for the Primary and Secondary Storylines.
• 28 A single master searchable database across all previously opened Libraries.
• 29 Add Prores LT for importing and transcoding media.
Right now the very popular ProRes LT is still missing in action for transcoding in FCPX.
• 30 Reveal Affiliated clips in the Timeline.
This timeline selection would allow you to apply a single effect, color correction, etc. to all clips from the same source file
• 31 Effects packs
to reapply multiple Effects to a clip or clips in a specific order.
• 32 Proper timecode reader with metadata option, source timecode option and aux timecode option
with the option to write the aux timecode back to the media file.
• 33 Transition alignment - start, middle or end of an edit point
can be selected from a drop down menu by right clicking on the transition in the timeline.
• 34 Better and easier Titles.
All of this clunky clicking back and forth - selecting a clip in the Timeline, going to the Viewer and Inspector to modify the title, Inspector text not auto-highlighting, scrolling, waiting, opening and closing Inspector menus is wearing out my mouse.
• 35 A Clipboard manager with history to remember all copied and pasted items for reuse.
Once an item is copied, it could be renamed, organized and pasted in any project timeline as an overwrite, insert or attached edit at the playhead location or appended to the end of the open timeline. You could copy multiple items as a single clipboard item. Each item would have a preview.
• 36 Add copy & paste overwrite edit in addition to paste insert and paste connect.
• 37 Select all clips forwards or backwards in a primary or secondary storyline command.
If you want to select all of the clips in a long timeline you have to select them all with a lasso or open the Timeline Index and select them.
• 38 Drag an Effect or Effects from the Inspector
to a clip or selected clips in the Timeline or Event Browser.
• 39 Adjust Color Correction and other parameters of Event Browser clips.
You can adjust a selected Event Browser clip's audio parameters, why not their video parameters?
• 40 Individually drag-adjustable Timeline lane heights with minimization, thin lane dividers
and a full height timeline window on a second monitor.• 42 Buttons and customizable Button Bars
• 41 Zebra bars and excessive luma warning.
• 42 Buttons and customizable Button Bars
• 43 Two timelines viewable at the same time
over top of each other for visually comparing timelines and dragging from one to the other.
• 44 An FCPX crash report and error messages that give helpful real world information.
• 45 Move white playhead dot up or down via keyboard shortcut.
• 46 Record Audio automatically creates an Audition clip in the Timeline option
and each pass is added to the Audition.
• 47 Roles option, per Event, per Project or global.
• 48 Go to next video specific edit point or next audio specific edit point command.
Right now you can't choose video or audio when working with split edits.
• 49 Draggable timeline markers, extend markers, move Markers via timecode,
export marker lists with notes and custom multi-colored markers.
• 50 Keep all Keywords and metadata when making multicam clips, synchronized clips
and when overlapping Keyword ranges.
• 51 Adjustable Color Corrector mask control points for custom shapes
besides just rectangles and circles.
• 52 Master Timeline overview navigation track with timeline selection highlighted in a moveable view bubble,
where you can jump to a timeline position by clicking on it (like Soundtrack Pro has).
• 53 Recallable Timeline Zoom levels.
Maybe even a few zoom buttons in the top of Timeline.
• 54 Easy quick option to create freeze frames of both sides of an edit point
that has no handles to add handle frames to use for a transition .
• 55 Move an attached clip or storyline down and below another attached clip
or storyline in the Timeline shortcut command. And a command to move clips or storylines up or down between lanes.
• 56 Resizable floating Timecode Reader.
The one in the Timeline is very small. I'd like one that I could resize and position where I wanted like Logic Pro X.
• 57 Bars and Tone Generator.
• 58 Master show/hide switch in Inspector. Option click to open and close all parameters in the Inspector
And the open and close status is retained. Right now it is a click monster.
• 59 Open sync and Lock gang sync modes.
Timeline playhead matches the corresponding Event Browser clip frame and syncs/locks the Timeline playhead to the matched Event Browser clip Playhead.
• 60 Edit a Compound Clip and project Settings by right clicking on either in the Browser
instead of the three step process it is now.
• 61 Background Render, Optimized media and Proxy on/off buttons in the Timeline bar.
• 62 Duplicate/Copy/Move Library, Event and Project duplicates everything that is used
including all FCPX and Motion Titles.
• 63 Auto-highlight Favorite name field in Browser when making a Favorite,
so it's ready for text input. And favorite's name is kept when edited to timeline.
• 64 Roundtripping with Logic Pro X.
• 65 Match Frame/Reveal used clip from Browser to any opened Project or Compound Clip timeline.
• 66 Better renaming timeline clips method.
Add Rename Clip as a keyboard shortcut so we can use a keyboard shortcut instead of right-clicking over and over when renaming clips in the timeline.
• 67 Context sensitive Inspector floating HUD.
And a contextual drop down menu with Inspector items when right clicking clips in the timeline.
• 68 A quick-fix short audio fade via keyboard shortcut
to fix abrupt audio edit points on all selected clips.
• 69 Move selected clip to playhead command.
• 70 Complete 3D parameters for all video clips.
• 71 iChat Theater.
• 72 Per Project Roles in addition to universal Roles.
• 73 Audio only crossfade effect
• 74 Multiple edit point selection on different lanes
to perform trimming on more than one lane at a time. For example, selecting the ends of all clips on multiple lanes at the end of the Timeline and Extend Editing them to all end together in one step.
• 75 Full featured XML and Library XML that other vendors could use.
• 76 Keyframable Opacity parameter for a color correction mask
so you can fade the mask in and out.
• 77 Project preview in the Browser.
We used to have project skimming and playback and we can skim and playback compound clips in the browser. Why not projects?
• 78 Double clicking a Multicam clip opens the Angle editor with the timeline clip selected
and the Angle editor playhead matches the current timeline clip frame. From here, you can match frame back to source clip, color correct, stabilize, etc. Also Angle editor specific markers are carried over to the timeline and can be switched on and off.
• 79 A pop up warning if you are exporting a proxy version of your timeline
if you forgot to set optimized or original media in the Viewer or preferences before exporting.
• 80 Mark to Markers command.
A section of a clip will be selected from one marker to to the next marker when the skimmer/playhead is between two markers and a keyboard command is executed.
• 81 Automator Actions for sequencing multiple steps and keystroke sequences into a button or single click.
• 82 Adjust Multicam angle sync in viewer one frame at a time by command dragging over a clip.
• 83 Right click a customized title or transition in the timeline and choose "Make Default".
• 84 Navigate by pasting timecode (Alex4D).
Copy a timecode from a paper edit and paste into timecode display, timeline index search field (or floating timecode palette)
• 85 Toggle timeline clip effects on/off via right click or a keyboard shortcut
to compare clips with and without effects instead of going back and forth to the Effect Info panel to check and uncheck checkboxes.
• 86 Create auditions from clips stacked over each other in the timeline.
• 87 Rulers and Guides for aligning objects and text.
Something so basic that is still missing after 8 updates.
• 88 Airplay and AirDrop support.
• 89 Collapse Multicam option (via @alisterrobbie & @thefcpxeditor)
• 90 Add on and off button for the Graphic Equalizer and for all effects,
to quickly compare with and without EQ/effect.
• 91 Selecting Roles in the Timeline Index actually selects the clips
and allows applying effects, disable/enable or making adjustments to multiple clips at once.
• 92 Title build in and build out adjustment controls in a timeline title.
• 93 Option of using proxy media on a per project basis rather than globally.
And having an option to choose original, optimized or proxy media for sharing. Also an option to choose original, optimized or proxy media while editing when sharing in the background.
• 94 Selectable autosave time increment.
• 95 Keep playing clips in the event browser option.
Add ‘Continuous Play’ command to View > Playback submenu so Final Cut plays all browser clips one after the other. Then while using J-K-L and I-O keys in the browser, you could review, make favorites and edit clips quickly to the timeline using Q-W-E (Alex4D).
• 96 Add insert at beginning of timeline edit
the opposite of the append edit.
• 97 Transition names in the timeline.
• 98 Multiple range selections in the Timeline available for batch exporting via the Share menu.
• 99 Drag a Loop playback range in the timeline ruler area.
Click the range to toggle it on and off.
• 100 Turn only audio or only video on/off by right clicking on a clip in the Timeline or via a keyboard shortcut.
I don't want to detach audio just to disable or enable only audio or only video.
• 101 Add managed and external indicators on clips or a Location column in the Browser
so we can see at a glance whether Libraries and clips are managed or external. Viewing one clip at a time in the info inspector to check Location is really innefficient.
• 102 Option for optimized media, shared media and render files to live in an external, non Library, location.
• 103 Direct numeric entry and drag to change value for all Inspector number fields.
You can't enter numbers or drag in the Audio Enhancements % field for example.
• 104 Separate Proxy and Audio files media management, consolidation and storage locations.
.• 105 Make Undo and Redo work for every edit step as expected
including previous playhead placement. Now it's an unreliable grab bag.
• 106 Media does not have to be relinked when opening an external Library on another volume
if the copy has the same folder structure as the original Library.
• 107 Bug fixes, bug fixes and more bug fixes.
Like the EQ resetting itself after you use it, deleting timeline clips that aren't selected and the spinning beachball.
• 108 Enable Dictation to transcribe audio from video in FCPX with searchable clickable timestamps.
The text file could be used to find a word and to add captioning.
• 109 Single keyboard shortcut to save a timeline or browser clip current frame
instead of clicking 4 times as is now required for each save. A save location would be set as a preference. Also saving a selection of frames for batch export.
• 110 Checkboxes to allow custom settings, such as Spatial Conform, to be saved .
•111 Better Import window media options.
We used to have the option to copy files into an external folder in the Import window dialog. That is gone in 10.1.2.
Allow us to create an external media folder in the Import dialog so we don't have to close the window, return to the Library Inspector, and then return to the Import window dialog if we don't want to use an existing external media folder.
•112 FCPX App Store in the Effects browser
To buy plugins, tutorials, helper apps, etc (Alex4D).
•113 Slip video sync only or slip audio sync only by keyboard shortcut or right clicking on a timeline clip and typing a + or - and number of frames (or for audio, subframes) without having to break apart the clip by detaching the audio or opening it in its own timeline. Out of sync indicators would appear once the video or audio was slipped. And if you detach audio, "Detach Audio" changes to "Reattach Audio" so the clip can be reassmebled in the timeline. (@austinflack via @FCPXGrill).
•114 Improved dynamic trimming (brought back by T. Payton)
including consistant behavior and 2-up/4-up display.
•115 Allow modifying in and out points of Keyword ranges (Ron Priest).
Select the Keyword range and drag the in or out handles or press a keyboard shortcut to reset them.
•116 Blade at playhead and delete selected item(s) immediately to the left or right of playhead commands.
•117 Save Library as a Template and be able to select a Library Template from a Master Template Chooser.
You would be prompted for a name, which would telegraph through to template Events. The template would recreate Smart collections, Events, managed or external preference, etc. You could save multiple templates for different Library needs. This would save time from creating a Library from scratch, especially complex Libraries that you reuse on a regular basis.
•118 Position dependent tool where the pointer would change from a default selection tool to the Range tool, for example, when it was in the bottom half of a timeline clip.
FCPX 10.1 implemented about 14 items from this list.
FCPX 10.0.6 implemented about 14 items from this list.
I have posted an article on the implemented requests. Kudos to the FCPX team